Important safety information
From the Normal Police Department:
Off-campus student housing areas are often targets for burglaries during holiday breaks. The Normal Police Department would like students to keep these safety tips in mind to avoid loss of or damage to property when you are away from your residence:
- Make sure all windows and interior and exterior doors are locked every time you leave your residence.
- Always lock your doors, even if you will be gone for a short time. Burglaries can occur even if you are away for a minute or two.
- Do not leave valuable items such as laptop computers, gaming systems, MP3 players, or jewelry in plain view or easily accessible near windows or open doors.
- Do not allow strangers into your residence or apartment. If you throw a party, be sure to lock up valuables such as computers, games systems and games, MP3 players, jewelry, DVDs, CDs, etc, so they will not be stolen.
- When leaving your residence for an extended period of time such as winter break, take valuable items such as those listed above to avoid losses in the event a burglary occurs.