Leadership Education and Development, a unit of the Dean of Students Office, aims to provide engaging leadership experiences to student learners at all levels of leadership readiness. By developing and learning our various languages of leadership—which includes understanding ourselves, each other, our community, and ultimately the world around us—Redbirds lead and create positive impact both locally and globally. Whether your commitment is a semester-long program or a one-time session, we aim to promote the continued development of you as a leader through innovative, experiential, and reflective experiences.
Our vision is a vibrant community where all Redbirds have access and agency to be intersectional and transformational leaders on campus and beyond.
Our mission is to provide transformational engagement experiences to student learners at all levels of leadership readiness.
- Being a leader is not simply based on a position that you have. All individuals have the capacity to be leaders on campus and in the community.
- Leadership is a complex, interactive process with behavioral, relational, and situational elements.
- Leadership fosters an inclusive environment where differences are celebrated and diverse opinions are valued.
- It is important for individuals to understand the effects of their decisions from various perspectives.
- Ultimately, leadership focuses on making positive social change.
There are many ways you can continue to be a part of leadership programs after you graduate, including serving as a keynote speaker, panel contributor, or small group facilitator for a leadership program or conference. For more information on how you can support leadership programs, contact Leadership Education and Development, a unit of the Dean of Students Office, at (309) 438-2151 or LeadILSTU@IllinoisState.edu.